Monday, January 28, 2013

Smoothie Freezer Packs

In my last post I admitted to wanting to make 30 freezer meals. In my hunt to find recipes for said freezer meals that I plan to make in July/August, I wanted to find good things for us to have for breakfast in those first couple weeks when I will be recovering from a c-section. Among the things I found, I decided that smoothies would be a good thing to have on hand.  Jordan and I love the Yoplait smoothie packs that you can buy, and I found out they are really easy to make.

All you need is frozen fruit/berries (or fresh, but I got frozen) and yogurt.



I used Stonyfield Organic French Vanilla yogurt, but next time I think I might get a sweeter yogurt, to sweeten the smoothie a bit. I scooped the yogurt into an ice cube tray and froze them over night, then popped them out with a butter knife, adding 3-4 cubes to a quart sized freezer bag.

Then I added about 2 cups of fruit. I threw a banana in one with a cup of strawberries for Jordan (he loves strawberry banana). The rest are just different combinations of the fruit I had on hand.


It made 5 freezer packs, but next time I might thin them out a bit because one pack made a ton of smoothie.

Exhibit A: Ton of smoothie:


All you do is add milk until it gets to the consistency you want. You can also add a handful or two of spinach for some extra nutrition. We had no spinach, so I didn't do that.

We happened to have a Yoplait smoothie pack in the freezer (that expired in March of 2012...) so we blended that up, too. They looked very similar, but the Yoplait was much sweeter. I think it was because of the yogurt we used. If you want to sweeten yours up you can add sugar or honey. I may add a little honey next time I blend one up, but it was pretty good without the extra sweetness.

The girls couldn't get enough of it, which is good, because we had like 40 ounces of smoothie to drink this morning.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot that I had wanted to do this! I'm gonna have to give it a try soon... You know, before I inevitably forget again.

    ReplyDelete