Sunday, December 20, 2015

Spanish Rice Recipe

I wish I could take decent pictures of food. I'm going to blame the lighting in my house. I took a picture of the enchiladas and Spanish rice we had the other night and it really looked unappetizing. I promise it wasn't, everything was delicious, but I do not have a picture of it to share with you.

My sister in law gave me this recipe years ago and I've tweaked it a bit to my liking. It is so good and goes really well with enchiladas, fajitas, burritos... I like it rolled up in a tortilla with some cheese for a quick lunch. I love it. 

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup uncooked white rice (I use instant rice, because I swear I can never get white rice to cook. I've also partially cooked white rice then added it to soak up the rest of the juices. Instant just works better for me, but I do tend to add a little extra, maybe a cup and a half as opposed to a cup)
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 cups water/chicken broth
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1-2 tsp. chili powder (1 is good for me and kids)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt (optional)
1 cup frozen corn

How to Make It:
1) Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, and green pepper until veggies are crisp tender and rice is slightly browned.
2) Stir in water or broth and tomatoes. Season with cumin, salt, and chili powder. Cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes then add corn. Simmer for another 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.


I doubled this recipe when I made enchiladas and am HOPING it freezes well. I can update with that information in a couple months after the baby is born :)

No comments:

Post a Comment