I love homeschooling. I love being able to take advantage of deals historic places often have for homeschooling families. September 23rd Monticello had a discount day for their house tours for homeschooling families. The five of us (and a bonus cousin!) made the trip to Thomas Jefferson's home and had a really great time!
The weather was absolutely perfect (unlike the cold and rainy weather we've had ever since) and it wasn't nearly as busy as Monticello was in the Spring. As I have mentioned previously, Evie has taken a huge interest in the presidents and we definitely feel the need to take advantage of where we live and tour all these old, amazing, presidential homes.
I couldn't take pictures inside the home, which is unfortunate because it's amazing in there! Jefferson was so innovative (he had a wine delivery system... I mean, that's like every mom's dream right there) and the architecture is just beautiful.
The grounds were gorgeous, and had amazing views of Charlottesville. If you peeked through a hole in the trees (that weren't there in Jefferson's day) you could see UVA. Very cool.
 |
| The gardens |
 |
| Checking out the view! |
They had some games set up outside for the girls that made me wonder why we buy so many toys when they are so enthralled with a hoop and a cup.
 |
| Emmy playing with the |
 |
| Evie taking part in a hoop race |
 |
| Emmy trying to figure out a ball-in-cup toy |
 |
| Catherine figuring out a different toy |
 |
| Emmy and sat and played quietly with this for a long time. I should buy one. |
It was a great day and I'm glad my cousin could join us, even if she didn't get to walk around and read every little placard like grown ups like to do. We still hope to visit Ash Lawn and maybe Mount Vernon in the next six months or so. Even if the girls don't get a ton out of it, I really enjoy visiting all the history right in my backyard!
No comments:
Post a Comment