The Kindergarten Phonics starts with vowel sounds, and Evie did really well with those. But as we've moved on to blends I think it's just too much for her right now. So I'm going to slow her down and take her back to the K4 phonics curriculum I have. Once she goes through that then maybe she will be ready to move on in her K5 book.
She is doing amazing with the K5 arithmetic, though, so we'll keep trucking along in that as long as it doesn't become too difficult for her.
It's hard for me to not push her. I know that if she really buckled down and tried she could continue in the K5 phonics, but she just isn't feeling it. I want her to enjoy school and enjoy learning, and that has been a learning experience for me. I have to slow down and let her be a kid and learn the way she needs to learn. She is 4 years old. She doesn't need to do Kindergarten yet.
We are taking a few days off so I can rework her lesson plans to incorporate her new curriculum. In a couple weeks Classical Conversations starts and I'm sure I will have a few more growing pains to work out. At this point I'm learning just as much as she is as I have to totally switch gears and educate myself in the best way to teach her. Poor Evie. Always the guinea pig.
No comments:
Post a Comment