On top of the crackers, popcorn, applesauce, fruit cups, cheerios, snack bars, gummies etc etc etc, we are taking Pop-tarts and oatmeal for breakfast, and these three meals:
1) Vegetarian Chili
This is my own recipe, and it's pretty simple. Just cans of beans, diced tomatoes, some chopped bell pepper and onion, frozen corn, and chili and garlic powder. I'll post a recipe another time. It's SO GOOD. We'll bring some grated cheese and sour cream to eat with it.
Here it is all packed up and ready to go. I packed about half of it, the other half was put into a ziploc and into the freezer for a later time.
2) Confetti Mac and Cheese
I got the recipe here and had never made it before. I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I forgot to add the evaporated milk, forgot the parsley, and used Velveeta instead of fresh gouda. I know. I fail. But it's really good, and I think it will be great for the girls for lunches. Catherine had some today and loved it!
Packed and ready to go!
3) Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
Sorry. I kind of really suck at taking pictures of food. Anyway, I got the recipe here and though I didn't try it it looks and smells really good. After 3 hours of cooking I was getting kind of exhausted, so I just dumped it in the bowl and sat down.
Packed and ready to go!
I think I spent $25-30 on groceries. Including the containers. There is definitely more than enough here to last us the time we are there. We will probably have enough to eat later in the week once we get home, too. It will keep me from having to cook the night we get home.
We still plan to eat at Pierce's Pitt BBQ, which is on the same road as the lodge. We eat there any time we go through Williamsburg. So good. And we will probably eat out once or twice anyway, but I like knowing that we have cheap and healthy(er) options to take with us.
Hannah, that chili makes me want to be a vegetarian... Unless omnivores are allowed to eat it, in which case I would continue to eat meat.
ReplyDelete