There have been so many exciting things going on in our house! And not to be forgotten is the awesome achievement of Catherine no longer wearing diapers!
Potty training is something I look forward to. I hate the actual process, but I LOVE thinking about the day I no longer have to change diapers. Recently Catherine has been taking off her diaper and declaring she has to go potty, so I decided that it was time to get rid of the suckers. I used a three day potty training method with Evie when she was 26 months and it took her a day to go from diapers to potty trained. It was pretty awesome.
Catherine is a couple months younger, and I didn't follow the same method as I did with Evie (I took some advice from a couple different sources) and it took a little longer (we still have a couple accidents) but after three days of chasing after her and cleaning up messes I'm confident that she won't be in diapers anymore.
Because I'm lazy (or just a busy mom...) she is still in a pull up for nap and nighttime. Although we will probably cut the naptime one soon because she's already starting to wake up dry. I did have to go buy her new pants because she is still so skinny that even with a diaper on a lot of times her pants would fall off. So, she is sporting new jeans with an adjustable waist.
In case you are wondering, my basic potty training philosophy is just to get rid of the diapers. And start early. I feel like as they get older kids start to become attached to their diapers. Obviously not every kid is ready at 2, and that is totally fine. You can't force a kid to use the potty when they aren't ready. In Catherine's case I asked her every few minutes to tell me when she had to potty. Catherine isn't incredibly verbal yet, but I soon learned to read her cues and even if she doesn't verbally tell me, her little potty dance does! I also sat her on the potty about every 20 minutes until she got the idea. She began to hold it for longer, and once she got to the point she wasn't peeing every 20 minutes we stopped putting her on the potty unless she either told us she had to go, or I saw her potty dance. Any time she had an accident we made a big deal about how icky it was, and how pee pee went in the potty NOT on the floor. She also had to take her underwear to the hamper. I would also ask her every once in a while where pee pee and poopy went, and she would point to the potty. Any time she succeeded she was given a Rollo and a big round of applause.
We have both a little freestanding potty and a potty seat for an adult toilet. She began to favor the "big potty" so that is generally what she uses. Evie always preferred the little potty. I don't really care which she uses as long as she uses one!
I am super proud of Catherine! And I am SO glad I only have one in diapers now! Way to go, little girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment