To my precious daughters,
Today I am sitting, watching you play, as I think about how tomorrow is Mother's Day. I have been incredibly selfish with this holiday. I am dreaming of how nice it would be to sleep in until after 8, maybe go out for breakfast. Maybe I'll even request that I not have to change any diapers. But I do not want to forget you precious girls who made me a mother.
Evie, my firstborn, the person who taught me a depth of love I never knew existed. You are so special to me. You are smart, and caring, and loving, and have a spirit that cannot be hardened. You have a wonderful way (as three year olds do) of making me want to rip out my hair one second, then immediately after doing something so genuine and sweet that I forget all about whatever crime you have committed. You are funny. You have such an amazing sense of humor. You say things three year olds shouldn't say. You are an incredible big sister, and an incredible daughter.
Catherine, my second sweet baby; you are the one who has taught me patience. You taught me that no two children are alike. You keep me guessing. And at 18 months old, you rule the show. You keep me down to earth. You are dramatic, and rough and tumble, and the sweetest child on the planet. You have an intelligence that often surprises me. You are a thinker. You are often the mind behind the crime. I love your sweet baby kisses, and the way you say "Mommy", and the way you give hugs. You are an amazing little girl, I am so glad you are my own.
Baby E, my third little princess: You are not yet here, but since I found out of your existence you have been very much loved. I do not know you well, but I suppose I know you better than anyone in the world. I have so enjoyed feeling you move and kick and hiccup inside me. You are an incredible blessing, and I cannot wait to meet you and hold you and see what kind of personality you have. I am so glad you are here.
I know one day you all will grow up. You will fight, you will disobey, and I am sure at some point in your lives I will count down the days until you move out. But now you are small, and I am trying desperately to hold on to that. You will always always always be my babies. And I will always love you with a love you can not understand until you have babies of your own. I will always be your mommy, and for that I am very grateful.
So, my three daughters, thank you for making me a mother. Thank you for being my reasons to be celebrated on Mother's Day, and thank you for being who you are. I love you so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment