Friday, April 12, 2013

What I've Learned While Being Married

When my husband and I got married five years ago we were 19 years old.  We were young, and in love, and it is a decision I have never once regretted. Back then I knew very little about love, I didn't know the deep rooted concept that I know it to be now. I have more love for Jordan now than I did back then, but it's so different. It's not a feeling I have. It's an understanding. It's the knowledge that my husband will always be here for me.

2007, after dating for a year
Jordan and I have had our ups and downs. We are not a couple that has never had a fight. And I know there have been brief times when I thought we might not make it. But those times (may they never reoccur!) have given me a faith and trust in him that I didn't have before. Jordan is my rock.

Our Wedding, April 12, 2008
First anniversary, 2009
The Bible commands us to love one another. The love I have for my husband is not a feeling, it is a command. And there have been times when this has been a difficult command to follow. Most of the time it is a very easy thing, loving Jordan. He is an incredible husband and it makes loving him very easy. But we all have our shortcomings, and I have to remind myself of what love is.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy or boast. It is not proud. It is not self seeking, it is not easily angered. It keeps no record of wrong. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
 -1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

March 2010, holding our firstborn!
2012, after finding out our third child is on the way!
I have learned so much about love since marrying my best friend. I have learned to be patient (even though I'm not very good at it), and to be kind (no one likes a nagging spouse), and I have learned to not boast or keep record of wrongs. I have tried my best to not be so selfish. I am far from perfect, but I have learned so much. And I know there is so much out there for me to learn. I have grown so much in five years, I can't imagine what will happen in another five. Or 10. Or 50.

Our beautiful family, October 2012
My husband has seen me at my lowest point. He has been there through the struggle and pain as I fought to birth our first child, and he was there for the joy of bringing her into the world. He has loved me at the times that I have fallen short of the wife I should be, and he has rejoiced with me in my strengths. I never doubted that God made this man for me. And marrying him that five years ago was the best decision I've made in my life.

Happy Anniversary, Jordan. I love you.

1 comment: