Thursday, April 25, 2013

Vegetarian Chili

I am feeling uninspired this week. So, I'm posting the recipe to my amazing Vegetarian Chili that I love so much.

Vegetarian Chili


I made the recipe for this chili up one night a few months ago when I couldn't find anything online to suit my needs. Also, I needed to clean out my pantry of the 4,000 cans of beans setting in there, and this did the trick! The great thing about this recipe is that you can add or substitute just about everything. I used three different kinds of beans, but you can just use one. Or seven. It doesn't matter. We always used diced tomatoes with green chilis because I like the spice. But you can add canned whole tomatoes, or or any kind of diced tomato you want. You can also add ground beef or sausage and play around with the spices so that it suits your liking. This is a pretty basic recipe, but with some cheese and sour cream it is AMAZING. It also freezes really well.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
3 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 (12 oz) can dark red kidney beans
2 (12 oz) cans black beans
2 (12 oz) cans pinto beans
1 cup frozen sweet corn
2 tsp chili powder to taste
2 tsp garlic powder to taste
2 tsp cumin to taste
1/2 tsp salt

We always top with cheese and sour cream and usually have corn bread with it.

Directions:
This can be made on the stove or in the crock pot. It's super simple. You just throw everything in and let it simmer for a while. I know, so scientific. I usually add the corn in a little later just so it doesn't get over cooked, but it really doesn't matter. You can throw it all in the crockpot and put it on low and leave it all day. The longer chili cooks, the better.

Yield: One big pot of chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment