Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

I had no idea we were supposed to get hit by the hurricane until my Dad called me on Saturday and said if we run out of food he has some freeze dried emergency stuff. "I had no idea it was supposed to be that bad..." I checked our pantry. Oh, good, rice-a-roni and kidney beans. That'll get us through a power outage.  I checked the fridge. Half gallon of milk and a three day old casserole. Awesome.

So I got to be one of those idiots who flocks to the grocery store the Saturday before a storm. Once I got home with my 15 bags of groceries I decided to do some baking. If the power decided to go out we'd have banana bread and pumpkin muffins. Which are delicious, by the way.

I put water in the freezer. I transferred the food from our small freezer to the big chest freezer so that it would last longer. I did all the laundry. I washed my daughter's diapers. I did the dishes. I even filled the bathtub so we'd have water to flush with.

Seriously, this is Frakenstorm we're talking about. I usually don't get worked up about storms... like at all. But we were in the "action" path of the storm. Power loss likely. Rain. Snow. A FREAKING BLIZZARD WARNING.

I'm not going to say that I'm disappointed. Because Superstorm Sandy caused widespread damage and thousands lost power. But I'm a little underwhelmed. We got enough wind and rain to keep Catherine up until 2 in the morning. So that was a ton of fun. They're saying the worst is over but power outages are still possible.  And it's snowing outside! But I think we are in the clear. Continue to pray for those farther north, because from what I understand it's much worse up there.

I'm glad it wasn't worse for us, because losing power would be no fun. But now I have to eat like 15 boxes of snack foods that I stocked up on. Darn.

^^First world problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment