Sunday, October 11, 2009

Milestone #2

Well, I did it.  I made it to the second trimester *waves flags of victory*.  I'm 13 weeks pregnant today, 1/3 of the way through.  I'm calling this my second milestone, because I consider the first one week 12, when the risk of miscarriage drops dramatically.  It's been an interesting 13 weeks, full of joy, frustration, headaches, throwing up, and lots of bonding with my couch. I am visibly pregnant now.  It's not completely obvious, I just look a little thicker around the waist.  At my sister's birthday dinner last night my mom informed me that my face is fuller and my uncle, Zach, told me that I have "pregnancy eyes".  So, I guess if my waist isn't expansive enough I can point out my fat cheeks and baggy eyes.  Haha!

Some of the cool things that have happened so far: At week nine when I first got my fetal heartbeat doppler, I heard the baby tap against my belly.  And yesterday when I was checking the heartbeat, the baby was MUCH higher than it usually is, and I could hear the whooshing of movement.  We have an active one!  If you've never been pregnant, I will tell you that knowing that you have something moving around in there is the most amazing thing ever.  Slightly creepy... but very awesome.

We've been busy getting everything ready.  We have the furniture almost where it needs to be, we have to get rid of our desk and all the other random crap in that room, but it's definitely the baby's room.  Stuffed animals, story books, clothes, a few receiving blankets, diaper bag, diaper pail, and a high chair make it very obvious that in 6 months there is going to be an adorable little bundle of poop... I mean joy... in there.

And just for the record- the big drama in my life: H1N1.  Swine Flu.  Every pregnant woman's worst fear.  After weeks of brain swaggling, going back and forth, weighing all the pros and cons, and asking everyone that claims to be a doctor (and my brother in law, who IS a doctor) I've decided to get the vaccine.  I don't believe that there is a connection between Autism and vaccines, and I know that this stupid thing is new, but H1N1 has 4 times the risks for pregnant women.  So there.  That's my final answer.

On a  non pregnancy related note: I'm going to start reading The Lord of the Rings this week.  I've read it all once before, and I've read Fellowship three times... it's time I read it again.  You know, because it rocks.  And now I'm going to wrap this up.  I have stuff to do.

1 comment:

  1. ok. so I think its really cute that the high chair is in the bedroom with all the other stuff and I'd like to point out that she's getting to read her book at my house while MY son sleeps... for looong stretches of time. while I pay her :)

    hehehe... Big Al will be jealous when your little one arrives but I'll try to explain it to him as best I can and bribe him with a new truck from Target... and some cheddar cheese.

    congrats on the latest milestone!!

    ReplyDelete